Sautéed Apples and Leeks
From Everyday Food October 2007
2 leeks, white and light-green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
3 Gala apples, cored and cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices and halved crosswise
1 TBS honey
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 TBS olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and fennel seeds; cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are tender, about 6 minutes. Add apples, and cook, tossing, until just beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in honey and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice pork, and serve with apples and leeks.
*I used a pomegranate infused red wine vinegar and I left out the fennel seeds because 1) I went to three stores and they didn’t have any and 2) I don’t like black licorice anyway, so there. I didn’t add the apples until the very end because I wanted the apples just barely warmed through but not even remotely squishy. I don’t really like cooked apples. I did eat some of Sister Bench’s apple pie this year though, and it wasn’t revolting. She makes amazing pies, she can make even cooked apples almost appealing. Anyway, this recipe is awesome!
Did I mention that my uncle is a part time beekeeper? I've never liked honey until I started eating some of his. I like my honey a little crystallized, it gives it a cool texture and it's easier to scoop out of the jug that way. I prefer scooping to squeezing as far as honey goes.



1 comment:
apple pie's my favorite, you crazy.
Post a Comment