Friday, January 23, 2009

Exponential Chocolate (don't argue math with me)

CHOCOLATE VORTEX! It really doesn't get much more chocolatey than this. Before Christmas, my ward had an auction to raise money for a group that will give eye surgery to those in need in third world countries, often restoring their sight. Every $20 donated will provide someone with sight, although I think they also correct cleft palates, which is wonderful. I wish I knew the name of the organization for you. Not having spent anything, I decided last minute to put up one of my cakes for auction, thinking to raise five or ten bucks. It sold for fifty! That totally made my day, but now I'm like...this better be good. This is one of my practice cakes, and I think with a little tweaking, this will be my $50 dollar cake. If you couldn't tell, the bidder wanted chocolate. It's a chocolate cake made with chocolate pudding, with gooey chocolate chips in the middle and sugary chocolate crust on the bottom which makes the cake have the perfect crusty on the outside, absolutely moist on the inside texture. Then, it's coated with a chocolate donut glaze, and homemade caramel sauce for good measure. Although, you actually can't taste the caramel very well in all that chocolaty goodness, so I'll either have to make a harder caramel that at least looks like it's there (this one was more of a lacquer that made the cake wonderfully shiney on top of the already shiney donut glaze) and maybe bake some on the inside, or just ditch the caramel altogether because it doesn't have much of a chance, in the competition for attention amidst all the chocolate. What do you guys think? Insanely chocolate chocolate cake, or a chocolate caramel cake. Cast your votes! This guy paid $50 bucks to charity so it's gotta be good!

4 comments:

Launa said...

I'd just go for the chocolate chocolate personally cuz it's easier and you know it'd turn out wonderfully. the chocolate caramel would be good, but you'd have to practice more to make sure you got it right. And that is my wondrously humble opinion.

Jacquelyn Sherry said...

Launa, you and I are on the same wavelength. Secretly I want to make the caramel one, but I want to get this cake over to him tomorrow, so I'm totally going to just make chocolate. One day caramel. Tomorrow chocolate.

Jenni said...

is that the tunnel of fudge cake, winner of the pillsbury bake off? mmmm, you should enter it!

Jacquelyn Sherry said...

Haha, that would be so fun! It's totally the easiest thing to make. It's a spin off a cinnamon cake by Paula dean, with Alton Brown's Chocolate donut glaze, and I think Ina Garten's caramel sauce. I gotta stop keifing everyone's recipe's before I'm ready for a bake-off haha.