Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bulgogi

I got a new roommate, who just flew in from Korea. I wanted to help her feel welcome and at home here, so I made Bulgogi, and then we tried to go to a free Korean concert locally, unfortunately, it was in a small concert hall, and there is a large Korean population (and Korean-speaking RMs) in the area, thus, sadly, there were no seats left, and due to the accursed fire code, we had to leave. However, the Bulgogi was marvelous if I do say so myself.

I used this Bulgogi recipe, from trusy allrecipes.com. I went to buy the sirlion, and looked uncomfortably at the price sticker, when I glanced down and noticed that London Broil (Tyler would like this, I will send him the recipe--and here's where I wink at Launa and giggle) was on sale for $1.50/lb (At Sunflower Market...again, you must go there. There's one by the 60th South mall for all of you Salt-Lakers, AND they are now closed on Sundays. Yep. And they've never sold alcohol or tobacco. It's where' it's happenin')! It couldn't get any better! One thing I noticed though, is that the recipe doesn't call for anything spicey, which to my limited knowledge of Bulgogi, is not Korean, so I added red pepper flakes (although undoubtedly not enough to make it truly authentic haha). When you make this, you'll also want to double the sauce, so it doesn't get dry and let it marinate for a LONG TIME...at least overnight. Also, I just stir fry it, because although there's technically a grill outside 1) it's been raining, 2) it's winter (not that that's ever stopped me from grilling before haha, 3) I don't have any charcoal, 4) that grill is sketch, and 5) we only had 45 minutes to have this dinner party. We are so cool.

6 comments:

Launa said...

london broil....bahaha

Jacquelyn Sherry said...

Hahaha! I know! I knew you'd appreciate it.

love.boxes said...

Looks delish! I love Korean food!

Alicia said...

That was really nice and thoughtful of you!

Jenni said...

impressive

Helene said...

One of my favorites! Korean food is one of my absolute favorite!