I was going to make lamb. I was. But how can you pass up the ground turkey when it's probably a third of the price and less fat? So I used turkey to make these Moroccan Meatballs, which I served with Brown-Sugar Glazed Carrots and "Moroccan Couscous". I don't know how Moroccan either of these two dishes actually were, but if your eyes are sweatin' with all the spice in the air, you're probably getting close. I think it was a perfectly balanced meal, not just as far as nutrition goes, although I hit that point for sure, but flavorwise as well. The meatballs had a really complex flavor, which balanced really nicely with the subtle couscous which was mainly flavored with butter and onions (some might not call that subtle, but I love onions and da mo' butte' da mo' bette' dat's what I say). The carrot recipe called for rosemary, which I don't have (which is a shame, because you try and tell me an herb that smells better than rosemary, I dare ya) so I used coriander instead which tied the flavors of the meatballs and the carrots together. I had a sweet peach to go with it. It was a lovely meal. However, I've got to stop with the ground turkey. The meatballs tasted good, but they lacked the certain rich, bold flavor that one can only get from lamb, and they also lacked the moist, tender texture of a more marbled meat (although you'd be surprised at how much fat I rendered from the turkey, it was disgusting!). As a sad and final note, the molten chocolate cookies are only good when they're fresh, I'd sooner toss them than give them to company the 2nd day. You've got to eat them before they cool down completely after you've taken them out of the oven, but if you do, you're cares will melt away in chocolate bliss for the remainder of the cookie.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Is ok, I make lamb (?)
I was going to make lamb. I was. But how can you pass up the ground turkey when it's probably a third of the price and less fat? So I used turkey to make these Moroccan Meatballs, which I served with Brown-Sugar Glazed Carrots and "Moroccan Couscous". I don't know how Moroccan either of these two dishes actually were, but if your eyes are sweatin' with all the spice in the air, you're probably getting close. I think it was a perfectly balanced meal, not just as far as nutrition goes, although I hit that point for sure, but flavorwise as well. The meatballs had a really complex flavor, which balanced really nicely with the subtle couscous which was mainly flavored with butter and onions (some might not call that subtle, but I love onions and da mo' butte' da mo' bette' dat's what I say). The carrot recipe called for rosemary, which I don't have (which is a shame, because you try and tell me an herb that smells better than rosemary, I dare ya) so I used coriander instead which tied the flavors of the meatballs and the carrots together. I had a sweet peach to go with it. It was a lovely meal. However, I've got to stop with the ground turkey. The meatballs tasted good, but they lacked the certain rich, bold flavor that one can only get from lamb, and they also lacked the moist, tender texture of a more marbled meat (although you'd be surprised at how much fat I rendered from the turkey, it was disgusting!). As a sad and final note, the molten chocolate cookies are only good when they're fresh, I'd sooner toss them than give them to company the 2nd day. You've got to eat them before they cool down completely after you've taken them out of the oven, but if you do, you're cares will melt away in chocolate bliss for the remainder of the cookie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Ground turkey...
...yeah, there's a reason it is cheap. Good for you! You are always sticking your neck out in the kitchen. Well done.
That is a neat picture of spices. I'm glad that you like to cook.
Post a Comment