Monday, January 5, 2009

Greek Soupa Avgolemono

You all know that I love me some Greek food. This soup is so simple and delicate, and it has so much more intrigue than just any ole cream soup. I got the recipe from this awesome cookbook I borrowed from my mom called Betty Crocker's New International Cookbook. It's been snowing all day, and the roads are much too dangerous to venture forth, so I've been thumbing through this book and avoiding driving to the grocery store, and luckily this recipe caught my eye and I had all of the ingredients, which saved me from a culinary drought. I just got back from Christmas so the pickins were slim over here. Here's the recipe for ya:

"1 can (46 oz) chicken broth
1/3 cup uncooked regular rice (I’d soak it and rinse til clear if I were you)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 TBS lemon juice (I used lime juice)
2 TBS snipped parsley, chives, or mint

[it’s a snow day, so I just used the dried mint that I have]

Heat chicken broth, rice, and salt to boiling in 3-quart saucepan, stirring once or twice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 14 minutes.

Mix eggs and lemon juice. Stir 1/4 cup of the hot broth mixture into egg mixture; stir into broth mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. (Do not boil or eggs will curdle.) Garnish each serving with parsley."

If you wanted to make it meal, I bet you could add shredded chicken and diced veggies to it (don't let them get soggy like they are in canned soup, I can't handle that!) and it would be simply wonderful.

No comments: