Sunday, November 9, 2008

Poulet Vallée d'Auge (aka Traditional Plate of Normandie)

Elder Andersen sent me this recipe and it is lovely!

2 TBS olive oil
75 g butter
2 onions, chopped
6 chicken breasts
500 mL Martinelli's sparklin Cider (I assume that's what he was using to replace white wine, you could use any number of things like apple juice, or white grape perhaps).
500g mushrooms, chopped
500 mL crème fraiche
Salt and pepper

Brown chicken with half the butter and the onions in a big pot, add cider, bring slowly to a boil, reduce heat. Saute mushrooms til they get soupy, add them in and cook for 30 minutes. Add creme fraiche and cook for 10 more minutes, or as many as is necessary to thicken the sauce. You can remove the chicken if you are afraid it will overcook and get tough.

You could probably use sour cream or regular cream, but I made my own crème fraiche. You do this by heating 2 cups of heavy cream to 105 degrees F on low heat. Remove from heat and add 2 Tablespoons of buttermilk or sour cream. Let sit at room temperature for 24-36 hours, stirring every 4 to 8 hours or so. It should thicken considerably but still be pourable. Refrigerate. It thickens considerably in the refrigerator. It's lovely.

2 comments:

GeNee said...

That sounds very good. I will have to try it someday. Better still you can make it for me.

Jacquelyn Sherry said...

You would love it, especially if I included the mushrooms that were in the original recipe.