So basically I got no eggs cuz I don't want to go the grocery store. Not today. So instead of using eggs to make a boxed muffin mix, I used 1 tsp of baking powder mixed with 1 TBS of milk, and 1 TBS of vinegar (this substitutes one egg). It was nice to see the age old grade school science project at work with the baking powder poofing up all over the place and starting to overflow the cup I mixed it in (although in grade school I think it was baking soda...but it had a similar effect). I was surprised at how well it worked. The muffins had the correct consistency that any muffin would strive to achieve, however, since there weren't actually eggs, the muffin tops couldn't brown like you'd want them too. One note: If you're a chronic spoon-licker like myself, you're going to want to refrain when using this. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to lick the spoon anyway, salmonella yada yada...but vinegar does not make for tasty spoon licking...just throwin' that out there.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
What if I got no eggs?
So basically I got no eggs cuz I don't want to go the grocery store. Not today. So instead of using eggs to make a boxed muffin mix, I used 1 tsp of baking powder mixed with 1 TBS of milk, and 1 TBS of vinegar (this substitutes one egg). It was nice to see the age old grade school science project at work with the baking powder poofing up all over the place and starting to overflow the cup I mixed it in (although in grade school I think it was baking soda...but it had a similar effect). I was surprised at how well it worked. The muffins had the correct consistency that any muffin would strive to achieve, however, since there weren't actually eggs, the muffin tops couldn't brown like you'd want them too. One note: If you're a chronic spoon-licker like myself, you're going to want to refrain when using this. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to lick the spoon anyway, salmonella yada yada...but vinegar does not make for tasty spoon licking...just throwin' that out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
haha so question, if it made for a bad spoonlicking experience, wouldn't it have a negative effect on the overall outcome of the muffins? Sure they could come out the right consistency and all that jazz, but wouldn't they taste funny?
I don't think they tasted super funny. I don't know if vinegar cooks out or whatever. However it's hard to tell if they're different then they are supposed to be, because to be quite honest...I don't really like chocolate chip muffins, but they were free and I do like that.
A'ight, so Stephanie tasted the muffins and she said she could taste the vinegar, but it wasn't a gross taste, it just made it kind of tangy. So it would probably work well with a muffin that was more of the lemon variety I'm thinking...course if I only do it when I need to bake but I got no eggs, I'm not really in control of dat...
Post a Comment