Saturday, August 16, 2008

Healthful, Flavorful, Bene...erm...ficial!


Healthful, Flavorful, Bene..wait, that's dog food...but this is not, and this is good. Basically, here we've got the makings of a delicious down home dish that my mommy used to make me when I was young. It's loaded with vegetables, and I tend to use spaghetti squash instead of noodles because 1) I like the taste and texture of spaghetti squash better than noodles, and 2) they're way fewer calories, and if you're tryin' to keep a close eye on those, then this is a good dish fo' you.


Cook a spaghetti squash, and get all the meat out of it and into a casserole dish, top it with spaghetti sauce, then top that with steamed vegetables. We traditionally use zucchini and summer squash, but you could use whatever combination of vegetables you want ...I think my mom used mushrooms too...I ALWAYS omit those...I think water chesnuts and baby corn would be fun!). Layer that with some white cheese...monterey jack sure is nice. You could add some (cooked) lean turkey get some lean protein in there if you were feelin' it. Then stick it in the oven til the cheese is melted.
You can do anything with spaghetti sqush. It's a super good super food.