I became familiar with this play when my brother, Stephen, brought home the film version. I loved it then, and I love it now. This was my favorite show at the Shakespeare Festival. The play is about our hero, Cyrano. He may have a big nose, but he is also a gifted poet and swordsman. He is in love with Roxanne, but doesn't think he has a chance with her. Roxanne is in love with young Christian, seen on the left. Christian is supposedly gorgeous, but not so very bright...but he's bright enough to know he's not bright, so at least he's got that going for him. Cyrano wants Roxanne's happiness, so he offers to write love letters to Roxanne for Christian, and he does it with no agenda. The letters are beautiful and sincere. Christian and Cyrano both go off to war, and Cyrano risks his life twice a day to run back and deliver letters to his beloved Roxanne. I won't spoil the end, because you really ought to see the movie. This is the show that made me cry at the festival this year. Cyrano shows what unconditional and unceasing love is while he gets nothing in return. It's so touching, and it makes you wonder: What good is courage, if you don't use it for the things that count? What good is love if it isn't expressed?
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Cyrano de Bergerac
I became familiar with this play when my brother, Stephen, brought home the film version. I loved it then, and I love it now. This was my favorite show at the Shakespeare Festival. The play is about our hero, Cyrano. He may have a big nose, but he is also a gifted poet and swordsman. He is in love with Roxanne, but doesn't think he has a chance with her. Roxanne is in love with young Christian, seen on the left. Christian is supposedly gorgeous, but not so very bright...but he's bright enough to know he's not bright, so at least he's got that going for him. Cyrano wants Roxanne's happiness, so he offers to write love letters to Roxanne for Christian, and he does it with no agenda. The letters are beautiful and sincere. Christian and Cyrano both go off to war, and Cyrano risks his life twice a day to run back and deliver letters to his beloved Roxanne. I won't spoil the end, because you really ought to see the movie. This is the show that made me cry at the festival this year. Cyrano shows what unconditional and unceasing love is while he gets nothing in return. It's so touching, and it makes you wonder: What good is courage, if you don't use it for the things that count? What good is love if it isn't expressed?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Dear Jackie - I'm here form Tiffany's blog - I love your header :-)
Thanks! I took the photo at the Chinese cultural center...I don't remember what city it's in...but it was very bright and beautiful there: If you haven't been, you'd probably like it!
Post a Comment